The Killarney Bank:
This ‘bank’ does not appear to have ever been registered and, if the stories about are anything to go by, its lack of official registration is easily explained. The bank was run by one William Murphy – a saddler in the town of Killarney – and his notes were used as small change within the town and its environs.
One Shilling & Seven Pence Halfpenny
- The Killarney Bank (Proprietor: William Murphy)
- Occupation: Saddler
- One Shilling & Seven Pence Halfpenny, dated 17 March 1797
- Signed by William Murphy
- 145 x 55mm.
- Ragged edges and splits in body but intact
- Good (G) to Very Good (VG)
- O’Brien Banknote Guide: The Killarney Bank (William Murphy)