Edward VII’s reign was short and, from a numismatic viewpoint, relatively uneventful. He embarked on a goodwill tour (Royal Visit) of Ireland in 1902 and, despite the good press he received, Irish nationalism continued to grow. His bronze halfpennies were a continuation of Victorian designs, although the numbers minted were considerably higher than in the 1890s – the last decade of his mother’s reign.
Bronze Halfpenny: Edward VII
- Alloy: Bronze (95% copper, 4% tin and 1% zinc)
- Weight: 5.67 g
- Diameter: 25 mm
- Edge: Plain
- Obverse: George De Saulles (De S)
- Reverse: Leonard Wyon / George De Saulles
- Bare head of Edward VII facing right
- Legend: EDWARDVS VII DEI GRA:BRITT:OMN:REX FID:DEF:IND:IMP:
- Engraver’s initials (De S) below
- Full (Latin) text: EDWARDVS V DEI GRATIA BRITANNIARUM OMNIUM REX FIDEI DEFENSOR INDIAE IMPERATOR
- Translation: Edward the Seventh, by the Grace of God, King of all the Britains, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India
- Britannia seated, facing right, wearing a helmet, holding a trident, hand resting on a shield
- Legend: HALF and PENNY in the side fields
- Date below
Mintage & Market Values:
These coins are still quite common and there are no scarce dates. They are mostly found in the lower grades but coins in the highest grade (EF-Unc) command a significant premium, so it is well worth your while to carefully examine them, i.e. a halfpenny toned to almost black may be in an exceptional state of preservation.
The only variety is the 1902 high/low tide variation. The ‘low tide’ is the scarcer variety and is worth a 5 to 10-fold premium over the standard coin.
Always check your catalogue for an image of the GB & Ireland ‘high and low tide varieties’ because the horizons differs from coin to coin, e.g. between pennies and halfpennies + between Victorian and Edwardian coins.
- Copper Halfpennies
- Bronze Halfpennies
- O’Brien Coin Guide: GB & Ireland Bronze Halfpennies of Victoria (due soon)
- O’Brien Coin Guide: GB & Ireland Bronze Halfpennies of Edward VII
- O’Brien Coin Guide: GB & Ireland Bronze Halfpennies of George V
- O’Brien Coin Guide: GB & Northern Ireland Bronze Halfpennies of George VI
- O’Brien Coin Guide: GB & Northern Ireland Bronze Halfpennies of Elizabeth II