Date: 1553 (M: D: LIII.)
Mary (1553-54), Silver Shilling of Twelve Pence, dated 1553 in Roman numerals.
- Weight: 5.77g
- References: D&F 224; S.6495.
Toned, some light weaknesses to strike and one tiny rim chip at top, otherwise with an excellent depiction of the Queen, the largest portrait bust of her upon a coin.
- Extremely fine (EF)
- Extremely well preserved for this issue, i.e. most of these coins are well worn.
Crowned bust left, legend with inner and outer beaded circles surrounding, mint mark lis after Queen’s name, double annulet stops
- Legend: mARIA:+: D: G: AnG: FRA: Z: hIB: ReginA.
- “Mary by the Grace of God, Queen of England, France and Ireland”
Crowned harp of ten strings, crowned M to left, crowned R to right, legend with inner and outer beaded circles surrounding, mint mark lis after first word and date in Roman numerals, double annulet stops.
- Legend: VERITAS:+: TEMPORIS: FILIA: M: D: LIII.
- “Truth, the daughter of Time. 1553”
- House of Tudor
- Mary I (1547-53)
- Check List: Irish Tudor & Stuart Coinage