- Dixon Noonan & Webb, London
- Auction: Coins, Paper Money, Tokens and Historical Medals
- Date: 12
- Hammer Price:
- Irish Free State / Saorstát Éireann
This is a ‘pattern’ coin entered by the Roman sculptor Publio Morbiducci (1889-1963) for the competition to design Ireland’s new money in 1928. Although unsuccessful, Morbiducci’s designs are considered to be some of the finest in terms of their classical Italianate forms.
- Gerard Brady: “an ageless character and beauty”
Struck by the Milanese medallists Lorioli Castelli (later known as Lorioli Fratelli), the precise numbers of pieces which exist are uncertain, although the best previously published estimates were by Brady in 1976.
- At that time, Brady did not know of any specimens in bronze
- This coin is not listed by any of the major catalogues