Gibbons & Williams Bank:
Gibbons & Williams was one of the last private banks to be founded in Ireland. Founded in 1833, it spectacularly collapsed in 1835 when the senior partner, Hutchins Thomas Williams, was found to have been embezzling client funds.
- James Gibbons had parted company with him in 1834 and wasn’t involved in the bankruptcy and fraud litigation that followed.
- Gibbons & Williams banknotes are amongst the prettiest designs of the period and feature printing on the reverse – an innovation at that time.
- Their ten and five pound notes were also payable in London
- Their three pounds, thirty shillings and one pound notes were only payable in Dublin
- Since 1826, all Irish banknotes (and currency) was in sterling.
- 1826 was an unusual year for coinage, since two designs exist for many coins (one English + one British, to reflect the Act of Monetary Union in 1825)
Gibbons & Williams three pound promissory note, 39 Dame Street, Dublin and payable in both Dublin. Dated 4th December 1834, serial number: 5484 and unsigned. A beautiful example and still attached to the counterfoil. A few creases, but otherwise very fine (VF).