Gibbons & Williams Bank:
Gibbons & Williams was one of the last private banks to be founded in Ireland. Founded in 1833, it spectacularly collapsed in 1835 when the senior partner, Hutchins Thomas Williams, was found to have been embezzling client funds.
- James Gibbons had parted company with him in 1834 and wasn’t involved in the bankruptcy and fraud litigation that followed.
- Gibbons & Williams banknotes are among the prettiest designs of the period and feature printing on the reverse – an innovation at that time.
- Their ten and five pound notes were also payable in London
- Their three pounds, thirty shillings and one pound notes were only payable in Dublin
- Since 1826, all Irish banknotes (and currency) was in sterling.
- 1826 was an unusual year for coinage, since two designs exist for many coins (one English + one British, to reflect the Act of Monetary Union in 1825)
Gibbons & Williams ten pound promissory note, 39 Dame Street, Dublin and payable in both Dublin and London. Dated 1st July 1833, serial number: 99 and signed by H.T. Williams. A little bit crinkled, with minor damage around the edges (as is normal for issues of this period), otherwise very fine (VF).